-->

Ads Bidvertiser

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Model A Coupe

Change has been happening. (Heck, I have spent the last two months just moving tools!) But even change becomes a "has-been", and I slowly grow almost comfortable again. Amid getting accustomed to a new place, I am actually starting a new project...and it's an intimidating one. Recently I have carefully scrounged parts and pieces for building another hot rod, and finally the job is underway. From the free engine (thanks to the Wiscombe family!) to the unbelievably cheap frame, I am now officially working on a '30 Ford Model A five-window coupe.

The almost professional picture above is actually about the coupe body, not the ladder... I picked this body up from a gentleman in West Jordan. It was nicely chopped only 3", and came with an entire new floor section as well as lower patch panels.



Here's the start- an excellent '28-'29 Model A frame. I have just finished a very moderate step to the rear frame/crossmember, following the measurements of the Bishop-Tardell rear frame stepping procedure. The only difference is I "Z'd" the rear kickup rather than straight cut. Same end result, but the overlap feels better to me.



This picture shows the passenger side of the frame and rear crossmember, and the flush cut edge of the crossmember as done in the Bishop-Tardell book. This is for body clearance from the now kicked-up rear portion of the frame. The "Z" shape is welded and ground smooth.



Above shows the driver's side rear frame area (same process), with 10 gauge fillets welded in and the area ground clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment