-->

Ads Bidvertiser

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Frame Boxing

Continuing with the preliminary stuff, I am now boxing the '30 Coupe's frame. The process is rewarding so far, and I haven't had to buy any of the metal! I am using 10 gauge, lining it up on the spot and scribing a mark line. The picture below shows the first piece (placed for marking) under the c-clamps.




Then I take the piece to my flimsy table and mark a Sharpie line 1/8" inside of the scribed lines. This gives me a line that makes up for the oversize pattern that comes from scribing the piece from the outer edges of the existing frame.



Here's the marked piece with makeshift guides clamped along the pattern markings, about another 1/8" outside of the marker line. This allows the drag tip of the plasma cutter to rest against the clamped guides, and lay the cut right on the Sharpie line.



And here's the plasma cut piece test fit on the frame. The space next to the middle crossmember is left open so I can remove the crossmember before completing the boxing. I left the center 'member in to assist keeping the frame true while welding the rear. It will then be removed to allow full boxing.



And above shows the frame sitting flat, with both rear sides boxed and welds cooled, allowing removal of the center crossmember. I just cut and ground the rivet ends, and hammered out them out.
The welds are turning out less than good due to the inner frame being still full of impurities, as well as my skills at the 250 MIG being very rusty! Even after cleaning the welding edges with a flap disc, I am leaning toward using the stick welder and DC 7018 rod on the front boxing sections. I am still easing into the big MIG though, and I was even able to get it to run better towards the end of the day (well, after re-spooling the .035 wire, replacing the tip twice, and...) All in all, the car is an intimidating task. But it also happens to be an old car. An awesome old car!

No comments:

Post a Comment