-->

Ads Bidvertiser

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Yikes!

Yikes was right when I took this body panel off! I am apprehensive to go this deep into the core of an antique automobile...especially one I've never familiarized with. But the initial fright has slowly subsided as I find out how the basic body structure fits together. A big benefit is the body is bare steel, and was carefully mocked up in it's assembled form before I brought it home. So removing a few tack welds and fasteners have made learning the kindergarten version of Ford Model A body assembly run smooth.

The only reason I'm side tracked on the body is because I made its first mock fit on the frame so I could become familiar with proper mounting locations and clearance (since I've boxed and "Z"d the frame). And this shows me where floor changes need to be made, involving sheet metal work. And sheet metal work tends to get me noticing other body needs...


The above pic is the "yikes!" one. This is the passenger side body panel separated from the inner structure piece.


Above shows the close up of the lower quarter patch I just finished on the big panel. It is a repop patch that came with the car when I bought it. The small compound curve piece is one I made on the brake and the shrinker/stretcher. I used thicker 16 gauge and had to do a series of partial bends to get the wide curve angle that matches the existing shape of the inner wheel structure. It took lots of shrinking, checking, hammer form, more checking, more hammer...


This above picture shows the inner structure that supports the big body panel right inside the door edge. The bottom 4" of the vertical channel and the bottom plate where the angled support connects were rusted through, so I made these patches again from heavier 16 gauge and with the metal brake and shrinker.


And this picture shows the driver door test fit. I just finished chopping this door a true 3". I was a little paranoid- I wanted to be sure I matched the existing chop of the body structure. The 3" chop was already done on this coupe body, and was a major plus when I considered buying it. Any more chop to me is too much, and would look "rat rod" more than "neat old hot rod". I like to think this one is going to at least look the part of a traditional hot rod.


Here's the mock up stage, full view. Now I have to figure out where to modify the firewall...


Above shows my modifications to the factory style trunk floor. This is an upside-down view of the side rails and raised hump that I made. These allow for clearance of the rear crossmember and stepped frame rails; necessary because of the now "Z"d frame.


Top view of tunk panel. I made the hump with the brake, shrinker, stretcher and my cheapo punch/flange tool (for the even weld holes).


Above shows the modified trunk floor installed as it will be viewed from opening the decklid.


And here's another view of the mock up. It is starting to get my ideas flowing...

No comments:

Post a Comment