-->

Ads Bidvertiser

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Rear suspension begins...

Here's the lowdown on what I'm doing with my rear axle locating system. The diagrams I made show how Ford used the wishbone locater, how rodders split the 'bone for transmission swaps, and lastly how I am making a triangulated 4-link. The triangulation of the top two links serves to locate the rear axle laterally, so I won't need a Panhard bar . (Plus I think the transverse buggy spring helps, too).

Here's my present setup. Not exactly functional, but looks old timey hot rod. I will just make the split wishbones work as the lower links of a 4-link setup.



Brackets drilled and flame cut, tacked to frame.



Rear axle bracket welded on...



Upper links fitted in place! Now I need to make the lower links (existing 'bones) pivot at the rear axle. I think I'll use GM control arm ends and bushings from an old '70 Oldsmobile rear end my brother has laying around...

No comments:

Post a Comment